Ramayana Quiz Contest
ISKCON of Houston and Goswami Academy
- All participants must represent an organization.
- Multiple groups/teams from one organization is acceptable.
- Group/Team Registrations only
- Each individual group/team must include five participants (age 7-14 years)
- Each individual group/team must have at least one participant age 7-9 years and at least one participant age 10-12 years
- Participants from same organization are not allowed to change group/team members after registration.
- Participants are not allowed to have any electronic gadgets, books, etc. during contest
- No food or drink is allowed in testing facility
- Goswami Academy or ISKCON of Houston is not responsible for medical emergencies and loss of personal items. Participants are fully responsible for their personal belongings.
Deadline for registration – March 20, 2020
Online access to a 250- question booklet as well as Ramayana Book link for purchase will be provided to help students prepare for the quiz. Questions will embed all 7 Kandas of the Ramayana.
- All participants are encouraged to register by deadline provided, and to report punctually at contest locations
- All participants and parents must respect judges’ decisions
- All judges’ decisions will be final in selecting the teams proceeding to each round based on judging criteria provided to them, time bound rounds and rubric guidelines.
Round 1 – Saturday March 21st, 2020
In person Written Multiple-Choice Quiz (Proctors present during testing)
Goswami Academy – 1610west 34th ½ Street, Houston Texas 77018
Reporting time for participants: 10 am. Testing 10:30 am
11 am to 12 pm – Tour of Goswami Academy Campus
Light refreshments provided to all participants and visitors
- All individuals within each group will complete a written multiple-choice quiz.
- This quiz has 25 questions.
- The scores of each group will be totaled for final group score.
- Selections for Round 2 of the competition will be made from these scores.
The top 7 groups with the highest scores will be selected for Round 2 of the competition
Round 2- April 5th, 2020
ISKCON OF HOUSTON – Gauranga Hall – 1320 West 34th Street
Time: 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm – Multimedia Presentations
4:30 pm to 5 pm – Refreshments
5 pm – Group selection Announcement for Round 3
Round 2 Multi- Media Presentation – Selection topic will be provided. Each team receives 5 minutes for their presentation.
- Selection is based on rubric score with 20 points
- Four categories (Presentation Style, Creativity, Teamwork, and Understanding of Ramayana Epic)
- Each category is worth 5 points
- Selection will be made from combined score of all categories from 3 judges.
- Five groups/teams will the highest scores will be selected for the next/ final round.
Round 3 – April 5TH, 2020
ISKCON OF Houston – Temple Room
Time: 5:30 pm – Temple Program
6 pm – 7 pm – Puzzle contest, Quiz and Prize Distribution (Consists of three phases)
Phase 1 – Five teams – two-minute time frame to assemble a Ramayana jigsaw/ picture puzzle. Duplicate puzzles will be provided to each group for assembly. Two teams will be eliminated at the completion of this phase of the competition. Thus only three groups/ teams will proceed to phase 2 of Round 3.
Phase 2 – Buzzer Round – Three Teams
Ten questions for 10 minutes. The two groups with highest score proceed to the final round. If there is a tie breaker a tie breaker question will be provided.
Phase 3- Final Round – Two groups/ teams (Rapid Fire Round). Each team will be given one minute to answer ten questions. The team with highest number of questions answered correctly within the given time will be the winners.